Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm going to India and Australia on a business trip in a couple of days and plan to carry only a tablet instead of my trustworthy laptop (which got dunked in the tub by my oldest - don't ask). The adapter states the following:

100-240V~0.65A, 50/60Hz Output 12V===2A

Will it be safe to use the adapter in these countries to charge my device, or do I have to buy new ones there? If the latter, what kind? What else should I take along with me? A surge protector?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by studiohack Dec 20 '12 at 0:21

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

If you do bring a surge protector, make sure that it supports up to 240v if you want to use it without a voltage converter. Otherwise, only plug it in downstream of the converter. – techturtle Dec 19 '12 at 22:46

By the looks of it, the adapter will work as long as you have the "adapter"!

230 V
50 Hz

Type D Socket and Plug

230 V
50 Hz

Type I Socket and Plug


share|improve this answer
Austria != Australia – Shinrai Dec 19 '12 at 22:42
@Shinrai, miss-typed the name... the info is correct – JoshP Dec 19 '12 at 23:47
Wasn't sure and didn't have time to check so figured I'd just throw it out there :) – Shinrai Dec 20 '12 at 0:36
@Shinrai, np, thanks for catching it :) – JoshP Dec 20 '12 at 0:52

According to this chart, both of those countries use 220-240 Volts at 50 Hz. Your adapter says that it does support those voltages and cycles.

However, you will need adapters for the shape of the plug so that your plug will fit in the socket. Most electronics stores carry these fairly cheaply.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .