- Asus P9X79 Deluxe
- Intel Core i7-3820
- Kingston KHX1866C9D3K4/16GX (4x4GB)
The problem: both BIOS and OS tell that there's only 12GB RAM. In BIOS, DIMM_B1 slot marked "Abnormal" when there is a memory module. However, BIOS knows there is a module - all module properties are displayed on slot info page.
What I've tried:
- Memory diagnostic from OS - no result, tells it's OK
- Exchanging memory modules - same result, 12GB only, DIMM_B1 is still "abnormal"
- "MemOK" button several times - same
- Both XMP profiles (1866 and 1600) - same
- O.C. Tuning feature in BIOS - same
- Leaving only 2 memory modules in DIMM_B1 and DIMM_D1 (as recommended in user guide) - 4GB only, DIMM_B1 is "abnormal"
System is brand new. BIOS version is 1103 if I'm not mistaken. Memory kit is not listed in "Qualified venrors list" in user guide.
What the problem is and what should I do?
- I can update BIOS but I'd prefer not unless it's totally required, because I can still return any part of my system to a store where I bought it.
- Maybe memory is just incompatible and I should try another one.
- Is Motherboard broken?
- Maybe it has something to deal with CPU or other parts?
EDIT: it was a broken slot. Got my money back. Thanks to everybody!