Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Testdisk made an extended partition end outside of my hard disk, so I fixed it with fixparts. Problem is, I had originally had a bit of space in the beginning of the extended partition. Now it's gone, and GParted wants me to move (read: copy) the entire extended partition (about 500GB) to the left before resizing it by 50GB.

How can I resize an extended (container) partition without moving the whole thing? I am not averse to any command-line utilities. I am running 12.10 in RAM right now.

share|improve this question

You can't. A partition is defined by where it begins and its length. To "extend it to the left", you would have to change where it begins, which means you'd have to move it.

share|improve this answer
Problem is, when GParted wants to move it it wants to copy the entire contents and then resize by changing the end point. I just want to change the start point, which I know is possible (I saw testdisk do it before my eyes!) – WindowsEscapist Dec 26 '12 at 20:38
Sorry I didn't define this properly in my question; will edit. – WindowsEscapist Dec 26 '12 at 20:40
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Oh well, never mind. I used cfdisk to make a dummy logical partition (which extended the extended partition) and then used GParted to delete it (which left the extended partition as-is). Wish there was a better way.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .