- I have a machine running Scientific Linux 6
- It comes with Python 2.6 by default
- I've also installed Python 2.7.3 because I need to run some modules which only work with newest versions. This is working nicely.
- I need to install more libraries for Python 2.7.3
- I'm trying to install setuptools in order to grab these modules
[root@sa09b tmp]# wget http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
[root@sa09b tmp]# python2.7 ez_setup.py Downloading
Traceback (most recent call last): File "ez_setup.py", line 278, in
main(sys.argv[1:]) File "ez_setup.py", line 212, in main
from setuptools.command.easy_install import main
zipimport.ZipImportError: can't decompress data; zlib not available
oh? I thought I had that installed.
[root@sa09b tmp]# yum install zlib Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Setting up Install Process
Package zlib-1.2.3-27.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
- So I looked up various forums
- Most tell me to install zlib-devel (done "Package zlib-devel-1.2.3-27.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version"), zlib1g ("No package zlib1g available."), zlib1g-devel (same as before).
[root@sa09b tmp]# zlib -bash: zlib: command not found
could that be it?
- So the line which fails is "from setuptools.command.easy_install import main"
- I think this is because the .egg file with setuptools needs to be extracted with zlib
- I tried installing pip, but that requires setuptools too.
- I can't use easy_install-2.7 for some reason. But easy_install for 2.6 works fine.
"find" can't actually find anything to do with zlib in the system, other than python, despite yum saying its installed.
[root@sa09b pip-1.2.1]# find / -name zlib /tmp/Python-2.7.3/Demo/zlib /tmp/Python-2.7.3/Modules/zlib