I’m trying to fix a friend’s laptop. The DVD driver is corrupted, so the optical drive doesn’t even show up as an option in Windows Explorer.
Failed attempts so far…
- Microsoft Update seems to think the driver is up-to-date and okay—even though Device Manager shows a problem with it. (The little yellow
!icon is visible.)
- I tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting. This theoretically forces the automatic fetching & installation of the missing driver. It simply reinstalled the previous driver… along with the previous problem.
I also tried the vendor’s website (for both the laptop’s and optical drive’s manufacturers) with no luck.
Laptop: Toshiba Portégé R705
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
- Optical Drive: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ892ES
- Does a safe, 3rd-party driver provider exist? (If so, where?)
- Do you have any recommended procedures that aren’t listed in my previous attempts?