I think I ran the battery too low (I have one power cord that I share between two computers and I was stupidly trying to use both machines at the same time and lost track of how long this one had been unplugged). This is an Asus X44H, and now it won't power on. I tried removing the battery and holding down the power button for several minutes, but when I put the battery back in, it didn't turn on; the only sign of power I get is that the green light next to the light bulb symbol is turned on. I've tried leaving the computer plugged in for three or four hours, but so far nothing happens other than this green light's staying on. Is leaving the machine plugged in, say, overnight likely to help? Or is there something else I can do that could get this to power on again? Thanks.
Some Asus laptop computers are notorious for having bad motherboards. I do not recall the exact model, but I bought a Asus laptop for my mother that had the same issue.
A couple of things:
Some suggest doing the following: Removed the battery and unplug the power supply. Hold down the power button for 45 seconds. Then reinstall the battery and lug in power supply. Push the power button and verify if it works.
If not, some also suggest resetting the bios by removing the battery, which you can definitely try to do very carefully.
If the computer was not dropped, or wet, I would suggest contacting Asus ASAP.
I found that even being out of warranty (by a couple of days) Asus preferred to fix my mother's computer for free than having another unhappy customer.
In that case, it was a faulty batch of motherboards, the reason why the computer was so cheap