Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

After updating from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on a machine of a friend we encounted severe network problems.

After turning the PC on, the network is mostly not functioning ( in 90% of the boots, the network doesn't work, the other 10% it's there as you would expect ). Disabling the adapter and re-enabling it sorts the problem out. Nevertheless this is not convenient and I would like to find a solution.

The network adapter is a VIA Rhine. Unfortunately I'm not a hardware guy, so maybe I'm missing some detail to analyse. If so, please comment and I'm looking after it.

More Details: The ports lights are on. The assigned IP comes from the pool Windows uses when there is no DHCP server available or no cable plugged in. As the IP is wrong I can't ping the router.

The IP should be assigned dynamically using the router provided by the ISP.

share|improve this question
"The network is not functioning" is not a very good problem description. Does the port light come on? Does the machine get assigned an IP address? Can you ping the router? – David Schwartz Jan 4 '13 at 8:53
@David Schwartz Added info in the question – Sascha Jan 4 '13 at 10:21
Are you using dynamic or static IP on the machine? – Dave Jan 4 '13 at 11:55
@Sascha - What exactly do you mean by "mostly not functioning" either something is working or its not working. – Ramhound Jan 4 '13 at 12:06
@Ramhound : Updated the question – Sascha Jan 4 '13 at 12:18

Presuming it’s just the one machine then and not the whole network… You’re best re-installing the NIC initially…

Is it a 802.11 or Eth interface card?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.