I don't remember how it worked in Outlook 2002, but can't you create a rule that display a "Desktop Alert" when a new mail comes in?
If this doesn't work, maybe you'll be interested in the Traylook Add-in for Outlook from Pergenex Software. It looks like it brings notifications more-or-less like the ones of Outlook 2007. But it isn't free.
- Integrates directly with Outlook 2000/2002/2003. Traylook runs when
Outlook is active, there is no
additional programs to run or manage.
- Traylook settings are configured conveniently within
Outlook's Options window.
- Create your own colorful popup notification windows similar to MSN
- Traylook's popup notification window can be configured to display
in multiple convenient locations on
your windows desktop.
- Choose which folders you want Traylook to examine.
- Hide Outlook from the taskbar and run invisibly in the
- User selectable sounds to accompany the notifications.
- Automatic removal of Outlooks standard tray icon. This icon is
replaced with Traylook's more
- New mail messages cycle automatically in popup windows
showing folder name, email From
field, and Subject field.
- Email messages that were marked as important from the sender are
highlighted in red.
- A new system tray icon is added which is color coded to reflect the
status of your inbox messages.
- Read email directly by clicking links in the notification popup window.