Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just wanted to use GParted on my laptop to resize my partitions. Unfortunately, GParted said the operation couldn't be done, then there are 2 bad sectors on the partition. It's the system partition, and I'm a bit worried.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You can always attempt a repair, but bad sectors nearly always lead to other troubles sooner or later. I would attempt a recovery of as much data as possible and change your hard drive ASAP.

share|improve this answer
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll try the repair first, and maybe relocate my Windows partition. Do you know any good opensource that could help me out to find exactely where the sectors are located, appart of Ultimate boot? – waszkiewicz Oct 9 '09 at 9:23
I agree backup is essential – admintech Oct 9 '09 at 9:27
Backup's done! Shall I low-format the HDD and reinstall Windows? – waszkiewicz Oct 9 '09 at 9:39
I'd junk the hard disk and get a new one, unless it's still under warranty. – MartW Oct 9 '09 at 9:46
OK, I think I won't take the risk, and just buy a new HDD... – waszkiewicz Oct 9 '09 at 9:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.