I have seen a few discussions about the subject here, but it is still not clear for me which program I should use for task management. My requirements are following:
- be Windows software (particularly W7)
- have time tracking of task activity (by pressing start-stop)
- be freeware for non-commercial usage
- have task hierarchy
- be simple, clear, tiny, fast, and convenient
Update: Applications requiring web registration are not welcome.
Other things like web sync and mobile clients are not important.
So far I have tried Task Coach suggested by techsupportalert.com/best-free-project-time-keeping-utility.htm. It is fine, by there are some things which need to be improved.
Personally, I like Google Tasks (although it is not win soft), so I am dreaming about a similar program which would meet my requirements.
Could you suggest me something?
So far possible solutions:
- Task Coach -- not very tiny -- please, vote to make it better http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/pages/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/333841-tiny-window
- ManicTime -- no hierarchy?
- org-mode of emacs -- text mode only, but may be perfect for you if you like it
- Project.net -- not free
- ToDoList -- complicated UI
- Klok -- complicated UI, not intuitive
- OpenGoo -- not Win app, web-based
- SlimTimer -- only web-based, no handy client so far
- RescueTime -- web-based, soft-tracking, no client