This problem began occurring within the past couple of days, and to my knowledge I made no changes to any hardware or to my network layout.
I have a Windows 8 PC connected to a gigabit switch (D-Link DGS-2205) on the LAN side of a WRT54G router running Tomato Firmware v1.25.1720, and two laptops connected to the router by wifi, one Windows 8, and one XP. The router's WAN port is connected to a switch (SMCFS8) which is in turn connected to my ADSL modem. My TV is ADSL and is also connected to the modem via the switch.
ADSL Modem -> SMCFS8 |-> WRT54G -> DGS-2205 -> Win8 PC, Win7 PC | | | |-(wifi)-> XP Laptop, Win8 Laptop | |-> ADSL TV Box
The problem is: After suspending my Windows 8 PC at night, in the morning the WRT54G has lost internet connectivity (LAN still works).
- Power cycling the router doesn't help
- Power cycling the modem doesn't help
- Waking or rebooting either of the laptops connected to wifi doesn't help (they can connect to the router via wifi, but the router has no internet connectivity)
- The TV works during this time
What does work: is waking the Windows 8 PC from sleep, which immediately resolves whatever issue the router was having, allowing it to obtain a DHCP lease, and internet connectivity is restored for all of the computers. Update: Unplugging the sleeping windows 8 machine's LAN cable also restores connectivity. This makes me think there is possibly something electrical going on? Or WOL related?
If I just suspend my PC at a random time while I'm at home, internet connectivity may be lost almost immediately or much later.
What is going on?
I will continue looking into the issue and post a resolution if I find one.
- Is UPnP somehow messing with the router's ability to connect, and the Windows 8 PC is either notifying or resetting the router in some way that allows it to re-connect.
- Update: UPnP is now disabled under the Port Forwarding area of Tomato's interface, this doesn't appear to have made a difference.
- The only hardware related change I made recently was plugging my printer into my Windows 8 PC through USB for the first time since I upgraded to Win8
- The only software change I made was installing a game on the Windows 8 PC that I uninstalled the next day
- No network topology changes had happened for a week or two prior to the issue beginning
At this point I'm more interested in knowing the root cause out of curiosity than actually resolving the issue, although that would be a nice benefit.