Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to have the text in a (g)Vim window in the middle? This is the default: default And this is what I would like to achieve (mockup created with gimp): solution

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You could have empty windows on the left and right of the one you're editing:

:leftabove vnew
:wincmd l
:wincmd h

To hide the dividers and tildes use the :highlight command and the VertSplit/NonText highlight groups. Note that hiding NonText also hides list characters, see :help 'list'.

So to hide dividers and the tildes in gvim you could do the following:

:highlight VertSplit guifg=bg guibg=bg
:highlight NonText   guifg=bg
share|improve this answer
That could work. I suppose its not possible to hide the dividers? – Psirus Jan 17 '13 at 9:30
@Psirus: added some highlight commands that hide the dividers and the tildes. – Thor Jan 17 '13 at 10:10
Awesome, thank you! BTW, small typo in last line (guifb vs guifg). – Psirus Jan 17 '13 at 10:13

There are plugins that create empty padding windows and turn off all the decorations; usually, they provide a command to toggle this view on/off:

share|improve this answer
That sounds like the way to go. I'll investigate these later today. – Psirus Jan 17 '13 at 10:32
:set foldcolumn=3          # replace with left border width you want
:set foldmethod=manual

// from here

share|improve this answer
While this link may answer the question, it is better to include the essential parts of the answer here and provide the link for reference. Link-only answers can become invalid if the linked page changes. – BBlake Jan 17 '13 at 13:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .