I am trying to use Amarok on multiple machines with one database. I've found only few information about it, but some say it is possible. What I've done so far is:
- Dumping my local mySQL database for amarok
- Setting up mySQL on a server and writing the dump into it
- Changing the Amarok options, pointing to the new DB
- Mounting my music folder in the same path on all machines
- Setting the folder as local music folder in the settings on all machines
This works partially. Some statistical information appears (number of played tracks) and the playlists I once saved to the DB are there. I can even play them. The thing that isn't working is, that the tracks in my library (under Local Music) are gone. I even tried to rescan but it doesn't affect the other instances.
Has anyone experience with this? Is it even possible to do?
If been fiddling around a little with rescanning. I noticed that when I freshly write my dump to the new DB, the library on the client where I created that dump seems fine. My guess is now that it has some kind of client ID. I'm not sure though it still shows strange behaviour across clients if I start rescanning. I've looked through all Amarok related files in
~/.kde/ (at least I think I got everything) but I can't seem to find something relevant.
After some experimenting with the config file I copied all of them from the first client. I copied
I'm now observing the following behaviour. In
~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc is the following entry:
[Collection Folders] 1=./mnt/myMusicMount Use MusicLocation=true
Checking the SQL tables the
1 seems to be referred as some folder ID. If I start amarok it creates a new entry
4=./myUserName. If I go to the options I can see that only my home folder is selected as the default. If I add my mounted folder it creates another entry
6=./mnt/myMusicMount. It seems to be ignoring the entry 1 (which by the way doesn't disapear) completely and making it's own thing. I guess that's why it's ignoring the tracks referred by
1 in the DB.