Finding python packages using tools such as pip or easy_install takes very long, up to ten minutes, on my local desktop running Ubuntu 12.10. The same procedures are lightning fast on my cloud servers.
Things ruled out:
- The download of the package itself is fast enough
- regular DNS lookups fast enough
- when put a super-simple pypi mirror in between, with the 'simple pypi' interface, it is much faster.
- the pip log does not show anything useful, just long listings of urls visited.
- --use-mirrors doesn't help from mhausler's answer
Could it have something to do with the parsing of the listings?
I would be thankful for any tips on how to properly diagnose this, or what the problem could be.