I'm trying to set up a CUPS print server on a Knoppix system for use by Windows clients in an Active Directory domain. So far, I've had success with printing over IPP. Now I want to explore the possibility of using Samba to access the printers. I've undertaken the following steps to set up the printer:
- Added the printer to CUPS using the Windows Printer via Samba (Windows) option, giving the URL
smb://<user name>@<IP address>/<printer share name>.
- Set the Samba workgroup to the Windows domain name
- Added a user of the same name to the system using
sudo useradd <user name> --shell /bin/false
- Set the corresponding windows domain user's password using
sudo smbpasswd -a <user name>.
- Finally, I set the workgroup name in the Samba configuration file to the windows domain name.
Trying to print the test page on the newly set up printer gives me the following error:
Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
These are the relevant settings in my smb.conf:
[global] workgroup = MY-DOMAIN-NAME security = share printcap name = cups use client driver = yes [printers] path = /var/spool/samba printable = yes create mask = 0700 use client driver = yes [print$] path = /var/lib/samba/printers guest ok = yes write list = root some.domainuser force group = @ntadmin directory mask = 0775 create mask = 0664
Have I overlooked something or made a mistake with this setup?