Whenever I shut down my computer by press power button or shutting down in Windows 8 my computer comes on by moving the mouse.
I know it sounds like sleep mode but it's not.
Just to make sure it wasn't sleep mode, I brought up notepad and typed in it and shut down. While shutting down Windows gave me the warning about open programs while shutting down.
If I hold down the power button to do a hard shutdown, the mouse doesn't turn my computer on.
This problem seems to have started when I installed Creative Sound Blaster Z. However, I uninstalled the software and drivers for the device and it still does it.
I also uninstalled everything that has been installed in the last two weeks and nothing seems to fix it.
The keyboard doesn't turn on the computer, just the mouse.
I've also checked Power Options->Power button action and it's set to "Shut down".
I'm not sure what else to try? Anyone have any suggestions?
Here is information in the event log that Mark Allen thought would help. I cleared the Application and System log before shutting down. This is not everything in the log, just stuff that may be related(The order in the event log is from top to bottom. So "The last shutdown's success.." can first):
- Level: Information
- Message: The last shutdown's success status was true. The last boot's success status was true.
- Level: Error
- Message: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.
- Level: Error
- Message: The previous system shutdown at 8:29:30 PM on ?1/?26/?2013 was unexpected.
- Level: Critical
- Message: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
- Level: Warning
- Message: The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000.
Just wanted to give an update on this issue.
I finally found the issue. I have ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard which comes with AI Suite II. AI Suite II installs USB3 Boost which installs Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver. This driver seems to be the issue.
When I uninstall USB3 Boost the problem still happens but when I uninstall Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver the problem goes away.
I guess Asus and Asmedia didn't fully test the driver before releasing it to the public.
Anyway, thanks every for your help.