I'm trying to construct a Linux print server to be accessed by Windows machines. The setup is as follows:
- Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop
- CUPS 1.6.1
- Printers shared via Samba 3.6.6
- Windows machines are running Windows 7, Windows XP
Printing from Ubuntu works fine. Installation of the shared printers in Windows also seems to work. However, I'm unable to print arbitrary documents from Windows, though some printing efforts do work. Here's what I observed so far:
- Printing a text file from Notepad on the shared printer doesn't work. No error messages, no document in Windows' printer status window.
- Printing from WordPad doesn't work either.
- Printing from Microsoft Word does work.
- Printing test pages works.
- Opening an image file in MS Paint and trying to print it doesn't work.
- Dragging the same image file onto the printer status window will print the file.
All of these are repeatable. What could be the issue here, preventing arbitrary printing?