Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently spilled liquid on my 2012 13' macbook air (4,2) and now I would like to access the data that is (hopefully) still stored on my harddrive. What would I buy to read the data externally, as my laptop is currently not working. Is there a special wire or case that I have to get?

Thanks in advance for any help.

share|improve this question
Just restore from your regular backups. – Jan 28 '13 at 2:12 If that answer worked for every dead hardware device, like half of superuser questions would be pointless :P – Marcus Chan Jan 28 '13 at 3:51

Assuming the drive works, OWC sells a external drive case called the envoy both as a standalone product and as part of their upgrade kits. Since apple uses a non standard msata varient (See thread on askdifferent and ars technica's article) standard msata adaptors will not work

share|improve this answer

If your computer boots up at all, it might be possible to use a Thunderbolt cable and target disc mode ( to transfer your files to another mac. Otherwise, like Journeyman Geek said, your only option is to disassemble the computer with some unusual screwdrivers ( and buy an adapter from OWC.

share|improve this answer
Thats the tricky bit here. We really don't have enough information to know what works and what dosen't. I've even heard lots of stories of people having the presense of mind to turn EVERYTHING off, popping the battery (not possible on a MBA ;p), and finding the system more or less works once dried out. Completely forgot about disk mode - it might be a simpler option, depending on how much has fried. – Journeyman Geek Jan 28 '13 at 5:11

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .