- Moved Windows 7 partition on disk to 0 (location on disk)
- Expanded partition to fill up HDD
- reboot and boom, no boot.
- wrote new mbr from Parted Magic
- still broken and Windows 7 not finding files for anything
I shrunk Windows 7 from inside Windows 7 to install Windows 8. Enjoyed it, removed it, installed Ubuntu into the same space then removed Ubuntu and moved Windows 7 over 20GB then expanded the partition to fill the disc. Reboot and forgot about grub, booted from Parted Magic and used TestDisk to write MBR. Windows 7 can't find autochk, halts and BSODs after the autochk failure, and if you choose the startup repair can't find that either.
Tools at my disposal:
- System in question
- Parted Magic
- Ubuntu 8.04.4 (my personal favorite)
- Windows 7 System Repair Disc