Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I currently have 2 cells in Excel and I'm trying to find a formula to display the percentage change between them.

For example:

  • If B2=100 and B3=102, the result should be: +2%
  • If B2=103 and B3=100, the result should be: -3%

What formula can I use to calculate this?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

=B3/B2-1 will do the job.

In case your number would be in percent and you'd want the change in %pts, this would be the formula =B3-B2 (though I don't think you're looking for that one)

share|improve this answer

Set 'result' format to Percentage and you're all set!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.