Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've got an Antec Fusion Remote Black Media PC case at home. The case needs two internal 9 pin USB headers to be fully functional - one for the USB ports on the front, and one for the LCD display.

I've recently had to replace the MOBO, and I'm now using a Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H, which has one internal USB3/2 (20 pin) header, and one USB2/1 (9 pin) header.

If I understand correctly:

  • The 9 pin header should be able to support two USB devices - but it didn't come with an adapter plug to do so
  • I should be able to use the USB3 port, however I don't have a 9 pin male to 20 pin female adapter (i.e. to plug between the motherboard and the case)

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy to get this to work? I'm sure that eBay must have something to help me out here but darned if I can find it. The best I can find is a USB expansion board (e.g. something like this) but that seems like overkill.


share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Yikes, there are tons of 9-pin female to 20-pin male (to plug USB3 case into USB2 motherboard and use it as USB2), but I gather you need the opposite: 9-pin male to 20-pin female.

Though you might get lucky! This tom's hardware post links to this adapter which I think is what you need. At least you've got a model to look for or ask your local shops if they could order one.

Edit: Alternatively, you could use an internal to external usb2 adapter and plug it to your outside USB ports or to your USB3 header with something like this.

share|improve this answer
Yes! That is precisely the cable I need, thanks! Now, why on earth is shipping to Australia twice the cost of the cable?! – gerrod Feb 1 '13 at 4:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .