I really have spent some serious time looking for this answer before posting here.
Basically, I have a GPO set up to map drives in our 2008R2 domain. It works flawlessly on our RDS server remote sessions and on local domain-bound windows machines.
The problem I have is when I manually map an additional drive to a free letter (one I KNOW will never be used by the GPO), although it works fine, once I reboot or log off and back on it refuses to reconnect (the option is checked of course upon mapping).
I've tried with several accounts on several different machines (local and TS).
The user-based GPO is using the "Preferences" / "Windows Settings" / "Drive Maps" method (which ROCKS).
Thanks for any insight!
After countless hours of research into this subject I finally gave up without understanding exactly where the problem is. I did, however find this out: if I use
NET USE [path] /PERSISTANT:YES then everything works as normal, which makes no sense to me...