Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking to get another internal hard drive for my computer. But, currently all the cables are used for the two hard drives and the optical drive. I know there is a type of cable adapter for the power supply. But, I completely forgot the name of it.

Can someone explain what I will need to split the power source and connect the additional hard drive?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You will likely need one of the three adapters below. If the hard drive you are trying to add is a SATA hard drive, then you will need to get either:

The single SATA to two SATA adapter:

enter image description here

Or, the single Molex 4-pin to two SATA adapter:

enter image description here

If your hard drives are the older IDE version then you will need to get:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Ah Thanks a lot. I think this was what I was looking for. It seems a lot of people have been getting problems with the molex adapter frying their SSDS though... scary. – Noob Computer Person Feb 6 '13 at 20:27
If I answered your question, can you mark it as the accepted answer? – Linger Feb 6 '13 at 20:39
I have used several molex to SATA adapters without any problems with them frying a SSD drive. – Linger Feb 6 '13 at 22:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.