I have this weird problem with different WLAN's:
- I have a laptop owned by university A, with user credentials for their LAN
- I also have access to 'eduroam', a WLAN that is available at almost every university in Europe
- There is one particular institute (let's say university B) that's causing trouble. If I connect to eduroam there, everything works just fine.
- Whenever I go home and use the home WLAN, I have internet connection, but no connection to other PC's on the network.
- Then I connect to university A again, and connect to their LAN
- When I get home (WLAN), everything works fine again.
It's almost as if university B screws up some settings, which are fixed by connecting to the LAN of university A. I haven't got a clue what it might be.
Some additional info:
* Laptop OS: Windows XP SP2
* Other home PC OS: Windows 7 (usually network traffic is working fine)
* In the "broken" state,
ping between the laptop and home computer (in any direction) results in 100% loss of packages.
ping-ing the router, however, works fine (internet also works fine).
When trying to mount a network share to
\\<computername>\<sharename>, windows returns
An error occured while reconnecting Z: to \\<computername>\<sharename> Microsoft Windows Network : The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored
Trying to navigate to
\\computername with explorer returns
Windows cannot find '\\<computername>\'. Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search