Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to know if there is any utility for Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) that can "undo" closing of Finder windows - much like tabs in a web browser have the "undo close tab" feature:

enter image description here

My initial Google searching just brings up lots of keyboard shortcut lists, and I can't find any questions covering this topic on Super User.

I like the just fine aside from this 'flaw', so I'm not really interested in using a Finder replacement (except if it is XtraFinder as shlck pointed out - that looks pretty nice and seems to integrate with the existing finder). Still interested to know if there is another option, tho.

share|improve this question
XtraFinder should have this feature IIRC – slhck Feb 7 '13 at 23:02
that looks so good i'm going to edit the question to remove the "no finder replacement" stipulation so you can put that as the answer – cwd Feb 7 '13 at 23:05
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Finder on its own can't do this.

The XtraFinder add-on gives Finder a new tab feature with the same functionality as in web browsers. Open a tab with ⌘T, and undo closing a tab with ⇧⌘T, or by right-clicking the New Tab button.

XtraFinder is not a complete Finder replacement, so you just get the additional features without losing the actual Finder.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.