Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a text caret Unicode glyph? I can’t imagine that such a typical character would not be present (especially considering some of the many much less useful code-points).

I have tried searching with every term for it that I can think of (below) but come up empty. The closest I could find was the APL Functional Symbol I-Beam which is close but not quite right (and isn’t even present in many fonts). It should look sort of like a bone:

Screenshot of typical text-select cursor Screenshot of large, hollow text-select cursor

Does anybody know if there is such a character in Unicode?

share|improve this question
^ is ASCII char 94, which is mapped at the beginning of unicode. So unicode 00 09 (where you can leave out the 00). –  Hennes Feb 9 '13 at 15:31
Ꮖ was the best I could find on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unicode_characters :D –  Oliver Salzburg Feb 9 '13 at 15:48
Try searching in codepoints.net and fileformat.info. –  terdon Feb 9 '13 at 16:20
@Hennes, the name of the standard is officially Unicode, and I believe you mean codepoint U+0094. Also check out cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html –  vonbrand Feb 9 '13 at 23:04
Hmm, someone down-voted but did not bother to explain what their problem is. If you can’t see a use for having a caret character, then just leave; don’t down-vote just because you don’t need it. –  Synetech Feb 10 '13 at 4:01

2 Answers 2

There is a Unicode character for caret, and it's called "caret". It is U+2038: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2038/index.htm

You can find it in the General Punctuation category in some character mapping accessories (such as Gnome Character Map). It is not widely available, but it can be found in at least in 50 fonts that are listed on http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2038/fontsupport.htm. You might not be happy with the design of the character in these fonts, but that's an entirely different issue.

share|improve this answer
Hmm, it is similar to the regular caret ^, but aligned to the bottom. It looks like it is indeed supposed to be a caret, but is very old fashioned since that style is never used anymore. It’s also wasteful because you can make it by simply realigning the regular caret. ¬_¬ Unfortunately it won’t cut it because what’s need is an I-beam (terminology is also a problem as can be seen by the wide variety of search I had to try in the question). But +1 for pointing it out (I didn’t even notice the difference from the regular caret for a couple of seconds). –  Synetech Aug 18 '13 at 12:49
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Well I think it’s safe to say that no, there is no such character. Part of the proposal process for requesting a Unicode glyph is to perform a search, which I did, but it came up empty.

In addition, every other search I made came up empty, including one with ShapeCatcher which found several decent stand-ins (below), but none that works quite right (is full-height).

I guess until they add one, we’ll have to use CSS to style and size one of these to fit the part.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.