I'm creating a validation column for a worksheet. I've attached an image of what's going on.
- Column A contains an indexing function and works properly. The formula appears at the bottom of the image.
- Column B is hardcoded with the index values--no functions--cut-and-pasted from external File #2. This column will be used as a lookup column to bring additional data into the original document.
- Column C compares the values in A/B and conditionally formats the cell. In the event that a line may be missing from one of the two files, we have a quick visual reference of where the lists fall out of sync so we may correct the error.
- Column D is returning unexpected results, as you can see in the attached image.
Here are the things I have verified:
- The worksheet has about 3000 lines and 40 columns. I've worked with much larger files before without incident.
- Cols ABDF are formatted
- Col CC, noted in the formula for AB, contains the number 2 or the number 3. I tried re-calculating after changing the number format from
- Cols ABDF have been expanded to about 20 decimal places, and I did not spot a lonely .000000000001 in any of the values.
- I've refreshed my data so everything re-calculates as current.
- Cols D & F were created as tests just to see if could take the values and compare them and get different results. I did not get different results; my test appears on the uploaded image.
- And yes, I did a cold reboot and started Excel all over again. :)
Any ideas or hints what's going on or where to look for how to correct it?