Network printer is legacy HP LaserJet 6MP, plugged into a Windows XP workstation that is acting as our network share and the gateway to our shared storage devices. Others @ office are using the printer fine. I'm running a fresh install of Win7x64, can't for the life of me get this working.
Test page from printer does NOT show IP address, so I'm using the Wizard:
- Devices and Printers
- Add a printer
- Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer
- The printer that I want isn't listed
- Select a shared printer by name > browse
- Server computer does NOT show up in the network list
- But if I manually type the server name \servername it shows up, and I can see the printers connected to it.
- Select the printer I want to connect to
- Next. I get the "Connecting to PrinterName on ServerName" dialog.
- No driver found error dialog
- Press OK. Get the Browse dialog box that says "The file "*.INF" on (Unknown) is needed.
- I browse to the exact driver I need for that exact printer, which is extracted to my hard drive. Locate the "prnhp001.Inf" file > OK
Error dialog: Windows cannot connect to the printer. Error code is 0x0214