I read through a lot of ubuntuforums threads and tried out various things. Still freshly installed Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit, 3.2.0-38) hangs on reboot/shutdown after the line "All processes ended within 2 seconds".
What I tried so far without success
- remove plymouth (replace by a dummy package)
- kill almost all processes / unload almost all modules / unmount all devices manually before boot
- uninstall network manager, modem manager, bluetoothd, ureadahead etc.
- tried several boot parameters (acpi=, reboot= etc.)
- disabled ipv6
- ifdown'ing the ethernet devices
Killing everything with
Alt+SysRq+i doesn't help either.
The logs don't show anything unusual.
reboot -f does work, but it's not how I'd like it to.
I'm out of ideas of where to look and how to debug. Please help with some advice!