My work computer is relatively new (Intel i7) but is unfortunately on a Windows XP load. I do the bulk of my work inside a Windows 7 VM using Citrix so I typically have one monitor for XP and the other dedicated to the VM.
About ten times a day, the mouse cuts out for roughly 30 seconds which, while annoying, I can deal with. However, usually 2-3 times a day both the mouse and keyboard stop functioning. The mouse cursor cannot be moved and key presses don't register. The num lock light blinks intermittently for a short period of time while pressing the caps lock/scroll lock buttons don't seem to toggle their respective lights. Eventually the num lock light turns off and the mouse laser turns off as well. Unplugging/plugging doesn't seem to have an effect and even plugging in a different keyboard after this happens won't get you a working keyboard.
- Both the mouse and keyboard are wired (USB)
- Applications still function while this is going on
- It only seems to happen mid-mouse move (i.e. I never leave my computer to find it in this state)
- Many other coworkers have the same machines/load and this is the first time someone's had this problem
- Pretty sure I'm the first person to use this machine/load - it's only been about 2 months
I've done a lot of work with computers and this is the first I've seen something like this. I'm not sure if the VM is trying to grab a hold of the inputs and something triggers it into this state or what. I can't get much work done without using having the VM up so I haven't tested if this would happen without it - just wondering if anyone's seen something like this.