I have a problem with my Wireless Network Connection. Strangely, even though my connection setup seems to be fine, I cannot connect wirelessly to my network and through a router conected via LAN I have only limited access.
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E520 (1143) which I bought in Germany without OS. I used to have Windows Vista 32-bit in Spanish (Latin American) and everything worked perfectly. I recently decided to upgrade to Windows 8 (bought in Mexico), because I got more RAM (8 GB now) and wanted a 64-bit system. The installation and customization went fine. I downloaded the necessary drivers from Lenovo's support site and installed them only as I needed them, trying to keep my system as clean as possible.
While installing my wireless driver I get this message:
I removed the driver, which was not installed completely, and updated the language settings to match. My system's display language is English UK and my language for non-Unicode programs:
However, the problem persists. Device Manager appears mixed in two languages, English and Spanish.
PS. Usually after two hours or so of using my Ethernet connection I can connect wirelessly to my network with full access.