Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Text editors such as EditPlus and Notepad++ have keyboard shortcuts like:

Ctrl+Num +

Ctrl+Num -

Alt+Shift+Num +

Alt+Shift+Num -

Where's the Num key on the standard QWERTY English keyboard? I use a Lenovo Ideapad Z560 laptop.

share|improve this question
it can refer to a number positioned at the right most part of your keyboard (the number pad) or to Num Lock itself. – Lorenzo Von Matterhorn Mar 1 '13 at 15:00
Thank you. You were quite close and your answer actually helped me figure it out. – Sathyaish Mar 1 '13 at 15:06
i just noticed i said "number positioned", when i really meant "key positioned". good you sorted it out. – Lorenzo Von Matterhorn Mar 1 '13 at 15:08
up vote 2 down vote accepted

In your case, it likely refers to the + and - keys of the numeric keypad:

Lenovo Ideapad Z560 keyboard

share|improve this answer
You are a hero! I'd figured it out from Lorenzo's comment above after some trial and error, but the quality of your answer is just superb, so I have to vote you up. Thank you very much. :-) – Sathyaish Mar 1 '13 at 15:08
Heh, beat me to it and with the same image :) – terdon Mar 1 '13 at 15:08

There is no Num button. The shortcuts mean the + or - that is on the number pad (image source):

enter image description here

If this image of an Z560 keyboard that I found online is correct, the buttons you are looking for are circled in red (image source):

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Awesome answer. Thank you very much! :-) – Sathyaish Mar 1 '13 at 15:10

Num+ / Num- probably means the Plus or Minus Key on the Numpad. If you don't have a separate Numpad on your Notebook, you have to use another Key (in most cases it's labeled Fn) in conjuntion with that QWERTY-Key which is labeled + or - in the upper right corner.

share|improve this answer

I believe it's "Num Lock." You can test this by opening up any shortcut with right click --> Properties --> shortcut tab --> Click in the "Short cut Key" field and use the combination you want. It should then populate with the text, such as, "Ctrl + Num Lock."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.