There is this really odd problem i'm having. I cant go to some internet sites like ucla.edu, microsoft.com or samsung.com
What happens is that the sites start loading elements(sometimes they dont) and then just load forever. When i ping these sites i either get "timed out" or "general failure". I've narrowed the problem down to the windows installation as rest of the computers in this network can go to those sites with no problems, also i hooked up my phone's internet to this computer and it acts the exact same way. The rest of the internet and the computer in general works fine.
What i've tried:
- All kinds of anti malware scans - they didnt find anything except for a few tracking cookies
- Various browsers (im usually on opera though)
- Changing dns as well as flushing the cached dns data and other temp files on both windows and browser - when pinging the addresses do return the correct ip anyways
- Checked out the hosts file - its clean
- Fiddling with the MTU - tried lower values to no effect (other computers in the network use 1500 with no problems)
- connecting to the sites though a proxy, they work through a proxy so im assuming this windows cant connect to the ip addresses rather than the web addresses
- i have no software firewall, the hardware firewall also applies for other computers in the network which have no problems
- tried fiddling with internet security/privacy options (even though i dont use IE), no effect
The windows in question is win 7 sp1 with all the latest updates. The problem started out around a month ago but i haven't had the time to deal with this until now, the windows installation is around 1 year old. I really do not want to resort to a reinstall since last time it took me a whole day to get all my programs installed and the rest of the week to remember all the custom settings everywhere...
I can see some nifty malware that somehow slipped through targeting microsoft or samsung but ucla? Other than a freak corruption of a windows setting somewhere this makes no sense