I have a PDF article (not created by me). However, I can not search for text in the PDF. All PDF viewers I've tried return zero results for words that are obviously in there. I've tried with Adobe Acrobat Professional 8, SumatraPDF and Google Chrome.
How can I find out why the document is not searchable?
Things I've checked:
- The PDFproducer is reported as 'pdftopdf' and PDf version is reported as 1.3. However, it seems to have been created in something like MSWord or OpenOffice (but not *TEX).
- It is definitely not a scanned document, as the font is crisp-clear at all zoom levels, and text is selectable.
- If I look at the security settings (ctrl-D in Adobe Acrobat), everything is allowed (like printing, copying, ...).
- my search options do not have 'match case' turned on
- I can not turn it into a searchable document using Acrobat's 'Recognize text using OCR' as it reports: 'This page contains renderable text'.
So, what else could be the reason for the DPF not being searchable? And how to make it text-searchable?