Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top says press F6 to :

Move the focus to select the following areas of the window:
Active tab of the Ribbon
Any open task panes
Status bar at the bottom of the window
Your document

This all works except for the document. I want a keyboard shortcut to put the focus on my document so I can immediately begin to edit the last place the cursor was. Specifically, when I do a Control-F Find, I want to be able to jump right back to my document without touching the mouse.

What do I bind to for this?

share|improve this question
F6 actually works fine for me in Word 2010 to eventually give focus back to the document. If you revert to the old Find and Replace dialog, you can simply press Esc to dismiss it once you're done searching/replacing. – Karan Mar 7 '13 at 4:24

I tried pressing the F6 key, which is used in Access to switch between different panes. It works, but to switch back to the current document, you have to tap it three times: F6 F6 F6. Your next keystroke will replace the 'found' word.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.