Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

Does such a thing exist?

E.g. a Firefox Extension (or other kind of browser script) where you can right-click on the subtitle in a section of any webpage you want to link to and it will give you the link with hash symbol and section name like in the title of this question.

I know it's possible by looking in the page source or using Firebug but ideally want to avoid that type of thing e.g. so my mum could use it.

(If there's no such tool out there I'm tempted to write one...)

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by slhck Mar 20 '13 at 12:14

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

You are looking for the term "anchors": – Paul Mar 8 '13 at 11:36
Thanks, very helpful - looks like the newer version is here: and does exactly the job I wanted. If you'd care to put that in an answer I'll gladly accept... – Steve Chambers Mar 8 '13 at 11:49
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The term anchors is used for the URL segment after the hash #. There are extensions in most browsers that will expose these anchors in a way that makes copying easy.

To avoid future dead links, these are searches:

Show anchors in firefox

Show anchors in chrome

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .