I'm looking for an advice regarding my home server Here are a few words about the whole system:
- 2 PCs running Windows 7 (general purpose PC used for work, play, etc…)
- 1 PC running Ubuntu (home server)
- 1 PC running windows 7 (HTPC - media server PC)
- All data is stored at the home server
- All media used by the media center PC (images, movies, TV series and music)
- SVN server + repository used by everyone (we work from home)
- All documents (used by everyone at home)
- Backups for all PCs in my LAN
Other services on the home server:
- SSH server
- File (Samba) server for LAN users
- FTP server
- SVN repository
- Bugzilla server (mainly for clients)
- Web server (needed by the SVN and the Bugzilla)
I would like the server to be as reliable as possible and avoid a situation in which I will have to restore data from a backup at all.
Would setting up a RAID on the home server be preferred over a good backup plan on an external HD?
What type of RAID is recommended for this kind of system? (I decided that if I'm going to use a RAID, I will use a software RAID since performance is not the issue, I want it to be cheap and hardware independent. But, I can't make up my mind about the raid type 1, 0, 5, 6, and 10)?