I used to be able to drag and drop files to some of my desktop icons (e.g. Notepad++, AstroGrep, etc.) to open them with the applications represented by those icons.
About a month ago (can't recall exactly when this happened), the system stopped supporting this feature and now it won't do it anymore. Instead, it would only "Move to Desktop" the dragged-and-dropped file.
Any idea how to restore this (very convenient) functionality?
- It's not that drag & drop stopped completely. It's only the open feature (within drag & drop) that stopped working for some reason.
- This feature works fine on all my other Windows 7 computers.
- Deleting and re-creating the Desktop Icons/Shortcuts doesn't help.
- I found quite a few postings on "drag & drop not working on Windows 7 64-bit" but they don't really apply in my case because other than having lost the ability to open a file using drag & drop, copying & moving files using drag & drop still works.
I used CCleaner to analyze (only! not "fix"...) possible registry problems and the the only area that may seem relevant is the following "Missing Shared DLL" in
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\vsavb7rt.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.enterpriseservices.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscorrc.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscordbi.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscorsec.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.configuration.install.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\microsoft.vsa.vb.codedomprocessor.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\wminet_utils.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\microsoft.jscript.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\diasymreader.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\iehost.dll C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.data.dll C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\Tools\UninstallHPSA.exe
Do you spot anything above that may explain this problem?
sfc /scannow nor
regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll" (suggested below) work. System restore is not an option right now.
I tried the following possible fixes suggested by the link @harrymc provided:
1. Click on any file with the left mouse button and keep the button held down. Now press the Escape key. Didn't help.
2. Disable the "Drag-drop" in Context menu options, apply it then enabled it again. Didn't help.
Clarification: Dragging & dropping to applications while they are open still works. The only thing that stopped working is opening a document/file through a desktop icon.
Also, if I try to drag & drop using the right mouse button, the "Open" context-menu item is not listed: