I am trying to choose between a laptop with only HDD and one with 120GB SSD + 500GB HDD. I know that SSD-s are faster, of course. But, what are the practical, user-side advantages of this. Which operations on a computer are swifter?
For example, here are several use cases.
- Check out the linux kernel to the HDD (OS is on the SSD). Configure and build it.
- Install Neverwinter Nights 2 on the SSD. Play.
- Download a DVD-quality movie to the HDD. Play it.
- Lounch Eclipse IDE. Open some files, compile another project at the same time (working directory on HDD).
- Open a 5000 page PDF (on the HDD). Scroll with the slider 1111 pages.