This question is about finding a GUI or ncurses or whatever services manager for a Debian desktop. Something like this:
The ideas what it should do
The thing should be able to manage anything 'sudo service start/stop' handles, including
- gdm, xdm
And it should
- show description for each service
- let me set the startup type (whether it starts on-boot automatically or I have to start it manually)
The ideas what it should not do
- Not be rc.d. I would be somewhat interested in ways which don't involve reading what rc.d is.
- Not be bum. I tried it.
- names of some services are replaced with gibberish (Bum doesn't start for me anymore so I don't have a way to demo this problem; providing with a generic screenshot)
- they don't have descriptions, and
- there is no way to change the manual or automatic start-up type (i.e. tell mysql to stop starting onboot)