Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I updated the firmware on the two hard drives in my raid array, and now the raid array does not seem to work. I'm running Kubuntu 12.10.

Here is the output of some things I tried:

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
mdadm: failed to add /dev/sdb1 to /dev/md/1: Invalid argument
mdadm: failed to add /dev/sda1 to /dev/md/1: Invalid argument
mdadm: failed to RUN_ARRAY /dev/md/1: Invalid argument

sudo mdadm --query --detail /dev/md* 
mdadm: md device /dev/md1 does not appear to be active.

Any ideas of what to do next?

share|improve this question

migrated from Mar 15 '13 at 7:18

This question came from our site for system and network administrators.

check dmesg for errors. – psusi Mar 13 '13 at 3:04
Thank you for the suggestion. I get the following: [ 5353.561872] md: sdb1 does not have a valid v1.2 superblock, not importing! [ 5353.561885] md: md_import_device returned -22 [ 5353.562033] md: sda1 does not have a valid v1.2 superblock, not importing! [ 5353.562044] md: md_import_device returned -22 – quickk Mar 13 '13 at 3:11
That sounds bad. What does fdisk think about the disks? Do you happen to have its (or similar) output from before? – Hauke Laging Mar 13 '13 at 4:17
I'm not sure what happened... Updating the firmware of the disks should not have modified any content but obviously something went wrong. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the array (issuing the exact same command as when I created it in the first place: sudo mdadm --create /dev/md1 --metadata 1.2 --level=10 --layout=f2 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1). My understanding is that mdadm should see that there is already a raid array there and fix things... I'll report back in 325 minutes when resync is done! – quickk Mar 13 '13 at 4:56
Well, unfortunately things are not better. As far as I can see, it looks like there is an array with nothing in it. Now, running mdadm --assemble --scan does nothing! – quickk Mar 13 '13 at 15:46

You must log in to answer this question.