Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When im making a website i work on my 22" external display, which is fine, but to get a better idea of what the site will look like on smaller screens i have to resize my browser window.

At the moment i use (which also has a safari extension) but i was wandering if theres a firefox or chrome browser plugin that dose somthing similar, ive searched but so far been unable to find anything.

share|improve this question
What tools are you using for web development? – BigHomie Mar 15 '13 at 11:42
sublime text and dreamwaver but i find myself leaning more toward sublime more and more of the time – sam Mar 15 '13 at 11:43
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Was just digging around in firefox and found that it also has a "Responsive design" mode. Go to Web DeveloperResponsive Design View.

enter image description here

You'll get a dropdown with preset resolutions afterwards:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Is there an api for this option ? Like for changing it from inside addon code? – Kamal Reddy Jul 18 '14 at 15:07

This is actually a built-in feature in Chrome.

  1. Open the DevTools (F12)

  2. Open the Settings

    enter image description here

  3. Set the size you want for your window in the Overrides panel.

    enter image description here

Note: When selecting a User Agent in that panel, Chrome will automatically try to pick the correct device metrics for the selected agent.

share|improve this answer

For Chrome you can use Window Resizer. Fore Firefox, you can use Firesizer.

share|improve this answer
Note that in December 2013 some controversy arose with this plugin after an update started redirecting Google searches through a third party – Charles Wesley Dec 12 '13 at 23:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .