For my work in a library I administer a couple of pcs, which can be used by visitors to browse the web. I keep seeing a very strange issue, that leaves me completely stomped.
When a user goes on Facebook the computer freezes for a couple of seconds, then the browser closes, an error message pops up, saying "InitiateSystemShutdown failed.". The message closes at once and the computer reboots. This doesn't always happen, half the time Facebook works fine.
The environment is as follows:
- All PCs run Windows 7 (from the same disk image).
- Windows, Flash and Java are fully patched.
- The problem occurs with all recent versions of IE, Firefox, Opera or Chrome. (Although it feels as if it happens most with Chrome.)
- The PCs are protected by Norton Antivirus and when they reboot, they are completely reset by Faronics Deep Freeze.
- The PCs access the internet through an Ubuntu gateway server somewhere in the town hall. It applies a content filter and scans for viruses.
I am completely lost. Can anyone give me a pointer on where the problem might be? Or what I could do to narrow down the problem?