Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I had a Logitech MX1100 mouse that I was using to change my computer's volume -- I mapped the DPI rocker switch to volume change (repeating). But that mouse has now been replaced with a Performance MX mouse, which unfortunately, doesn't have that rocker switch anymore.

I've been thinking about other ways I could map volume change to the mouse. I thought about the possibility of holding a modifier switch (like shift) while using the scrollwheel to change it, but can't find possible settings to do so.

I've also wondered about the possibility of holding a modifier switch, holding right click (for example), and then moving the mouse either up or down to increase/decrease the volume.

Any ideas?


I'm also looking for a method that can be universally across the system. For instance, on my old mouse, I could use the DPI rocker switch to adjust volume anywhere, even in the middle of a game. I'm wondering if some type of "fundamental"/universal action, such as a right click from a mouse, is going to be hooked/captured by the forefront program, thereby pulling the carpet out from underneath the volume change function (modification).

share|improve this question
google: "autohotkey global key scroll volume" >… -- not exactly what you're looking for, but you could write your own script. – Ярослав Рахматуллин Mar 17 '13 at 0:16
The universal part is the tricky thing here. If the keys are detected as 'regular' keys, AHK would work. The configuration software for the mouse itself would be a good, non universal starting point to sort this out, IMO – Journeyman Geek Mar 19 '13 at 14:58

Check out AutoHotKey. The link below has a script example you could use which will remap your mouse wheel to control the volume when the mouse is hovering over the taskbar.

AutoHotKey Controlling Volume

I'm sure this script could also be modified so that if you hold Shift and scroll, it'll control your volume.

share|improve this answer
up vote 0 down vote accepted

An option I found and settled on is with a free program called "Volumouse" by Nirsoft. Very customizable, very lightweight, very free.

Besides it's universal-access, the best part about it is its vast ability for customization, being able to use any and all possible mouse/keyboard shortcuts, even setting multiple shortcuts concurrently (e.g., multiple keyboard shortcuts + a mouse shortcut, etc.).

Works fantastically.


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.