I had a VMWare Fusion VM backed up on my home network file server (Ubuntu). I wanted to run it again, so I copied it back to my Macbook.
When I tried to launch it in VMWare, I got an error message:
No permission to access this virtual machine. Configuration file: /Users/craig/WinXP Clean + Scanner.vmwarevm/WinXP Pro Test.vmx
The permissions look fine to me:
- The bundle directory is 777
- The bundle files (including the listed .vmx) are all 666
- User is craig (my current user); group is staff. I changed the group to wheel at the suggestion of this page, but that didn't help.
- Finder shows read & write for craig, staff, and everyone on the bundle directory
- The bundle dir is also not locked
- Finder also shows rw and unlocked for the .vmx file
- The parent directory is also rw & unlocked
- Disk Utility permissions check doesn't show any problems with any of the associated files
It sure looks like I should have wide open access to run this VM; why is Fusion complaining?