Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Are there any "common" text editors or word processors (Notepad, Wordpad, Word etc.) which allow you to invert the case of a string of text easily?

I've always thought there should be a shortcut so you can toggle the case between upper and lower, for example when you're...


...but don't notice the dreaded CAPS LOCK is on.
I would rather convert it with a few clicks than type it out again as:

Speedily typing away like Usain Bolt

I keep meaning to write a macro or similar, but it never seems worth the effort at the time.

share|improve this question
I guess you could call it "common" as its on almost every unix box out there .. vi has the "~" tilda key that performs case change. – FreudianSlip Mar 19 '13 at 16:20

With the lightweight Notepad2 or Notepad2-mod, simply select the text you want to fix, then press Ctrl+Alt+U.

notepad2-mod invert case | Notepad2-mod 转换大小写

share|improve this answer
Excellent, am yet to explore the Notepad2 features properly! – Widor Mar 20 '13 at 10:31

LibreOffice has an Auto Correct option "Correct accidental use of cAPS LOCK key". I realize that it is not Word, Notepad, WordPad, but I guess it goes in the etc. category. Probably OpenOffice has that option too. Most likely the editors that you mentioned have similar options too, at least Word should have it, but I don't have Word here, so I can't say.

share|improve this answer
You're right, it does indeed - although I now recall turning it off because it kept undoing deliberately capitalised terms! – Widor Mar 19 '13 at 16:30

In Word, if you highlight the text and press Shift+F3 , it should toggle between upper and lower.

share|improve this answer
Shift+F3 in Word actually rotates between Initial Letter Case, ALL CAPS CASE and lower case. The button on the ribbon provides even more options. Also, Word of course has AutoCorrect that can deal with accidental use of the Caps Lock. – Karan Mar 19 '13 at 18:34
@Karan the rotation only seems to include the initial letter case thing, when the highlighting includes a whole word, though granted that may be most of the time. – barlop Mar 20 '13 at 12:20
@Karan yes I agree, and a "single complete highlighted word" would indeed include "a whole word" and thus would involve the initial letter case thing as I mentioned, so no surprises there. – barlop Mar 20 '13 at 19:53

For NotePad++, install the free TextFX plugin using the Plugin Manager, then highlight your text, and select these menu items. Probably a quick macro could assign it to a hot-key.

enter image description here

It seems like you can even more easily highlight your text, right click and select "UPPERCASE":

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

SynWrite (Windows editor similar to Notepad++) has it.

Image of UI

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .