Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've got a test instrument that moves backwards and forward down a tank 100ft distance. This device has current a usb cable between the device and laptop. Does anyone know of a way this can be down wirelessly? Thought about print servers but I think they only work with printer and not designed for data transfer on testing equipment. Any one got any ideas? We were thinking about this device

but they no longer stock these items and cannot see anything similar on the net.

Appreciate any ideas Thanks Brenden

share|improve this question

Maybe the Wireless USB Device Server is what you are looking for. It gives you the possibility to access USB devices over 802.11n Wireless and a 10/100/1000Base Ethernet.

share|improve this answer
Hi, thank you for advice, but how would the test equipment that travels down the tank connect to this device? – Brenden Ward Mar 21 '13 at 10:54
The test equipment is connected to the devices USB port and accessed via wifi from a computer. Maybe I misunderstood your needs. I assumed you want to avoid attaching a 100ft long USB cable to the test equipment... – Simon Mar 21 '13 at 10:58
ok I understand so you put the wireless server on the platform that the device is on and plug it into the usb port, then the pc/laptop will see the wireless server as a wireless device and communicate with the test device which is attached with the cable? – Brenden Ward Mar 21 '13 at 12:04
@BrendenWard: yes, thats the setup. On the pc you will have to install a software which allows the communication with the usb-device over the network andemulates a local usb poort... – Simon Mar 21 '13 at 12:10
That's brilliant and thanks for the information appreciated. – Brenden Ward Mar 21 '13 at 12:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .