Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I found this website which does what I want but it seems very tedious. I would have thought Photoshop would have a way of automating this.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

This guide here does it in "four" steps:

Cartoon Drawing Photoshop Images Effect

  • Open an image that you would like to manipulate. Make sure your image is in RGB mode. To check this, go to Image under the menu bar - Mode - RGB Color. Make a duplicate of this layer as you will be working on this layer going forward.

alt text

  • Now we will be applying the Poster Edges filter. To do this, go to Filter > Artistic > Poster Edges.

  • After the Poster Edges effect, we will Adjust the Brightness & Contrast with the values: Brightness Value: 10 Contrast: 30.

alt text

  • Now we will do an artistic cut out effect to give it that cartoon look. Go to Filter > Artistic > Cut Out. And this is what you get!

alt text

share|improve this answer
hmm . . following your steps didn't work out quite so well for me. . the background and the person got blended together . .hmm . . – leora Oct 19 '09 at 0:03
That's why you have to create a duplicate layer, one for the person, one for the background – Ivo Flipse Oct 19 '09 at 5:46
i dont see how the duplicate layer helps if the duplicate layer duplicates the background as well. – leora Oct 23 '09 at 21:01
doh You're right, I was assuming the duplicate layer would have to be of the person and you alter them both in a different way. Though Poster Edges is supposed to seperate the background and the person. That isn't working for you? – Ivo Flipse Oct 24 '09 at 4:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.