as per subject I have a nasty problem with Windows 7 and a CF card in a SATA card reader, first some details.
- Asus P8C WS (Intel C216 chipset) with BIOS version 3202
- Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz CPU
- SATA CF card reader (Delock http://www.delock.com/produkte/S_91670/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en or Addonics http://www.addonics.com/products/adsacf.php)
- Insert CF card into CF card reader
- Insert Windows 7 SP1 32-bit DVD
- Boot from DVD
- After Windows DVD has copied install files and the animated Windows logo appears it hangs/gets stuck (the logo still animates), when this occurs the CF card readers LED turns off (being turned on when power is switched on).
- If the CF card is removed when Windows "hangs", the setup boot process will continue as normal.
- The CF card can then be found after windows has booted (e.g. using HotSwap!).
- However, any boot with the CF card inserted will hang the boot process. This happens when "classpnp.sys" is logged when booting with bootlog on (i.e. no windows logo). Note this means Windows boot hangs after classpnp.sys has been loaded. Just before the logon screen should appear.
What has been tried without any solution:
- Booting into safe mode does not help
- Updating BIOS
- Both IDE and AHCI SATA modes
- Moving HDD and/or CF card reader to other SATA ports
- Moving CF card reader to PCI express SATA card
- Customer Support Module=Auto
- Customer Support Module=Enabled using only "legacy opROM" under CSM (Customer Support Module) in Asus UEFI BIOS
- Customer Support Module=Disabled
- Changing SATA port with CF card reader to Hot Plug=Enabled
- Secure Boot OS Type=Other OS
- Using Windows 7 DVD without SP1
- Tried removing CF card from boot order
- Tried disabling legacy USB support
Any help would be welcomed :)
UPDATE 1: It seems that the boot does not hang forever, but actually boots after a very long time. Hours as far as I can tell. Once booted, most things work, except the CF card does not show and running "Disk Management" just displays "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service...", for about 10 minutes until the CF card shows up.
UPDATE 2: Clarified hang occurs after classpnp.sys has been loaded. Also tried installing latest Intel Chipset Driver 126.96.36.1995. No change.
UPDATE 3: Tried some boot order stuff combined with hot plug enabled, no luck yet.
UPDATE 4: Note this problem exists on 3 identical PCs with the Asus P8C WS board, but does not exist if using a different motherboard + CPU, but otherwise the exact same hardware. Thus, everything points to an issue with the Asus P8C WS board/Intel C216 chipset.
UPDATE 5: No matter what, as long as the Compact Flash card is inserted into the card reader during boot and no other hardware except DVD drive (from which Windows 7 install is booted) the problem persists. I also tried different CF cards.
UPDATE 6: I have read a couple of places that this might be a SATA/mass storage controller issue e.g. chipset issue, so I have also tried putting the card reader on a separate PCI express - SATA controller (ASRock SATA3 CARD/ASR). However, this did not resolve the issue either.
There are a lot of similar questions on superuser and elsewhere, but none appear to resolve this issue, as far as I can tell. Below I have listed possible questions that might be considered duplicates but are not pertinent to this case or do not indicate proper solution:
Windows 7 - frozen during "starting windows" DISK.SYS/CLASSPNP.SYS (legacy bios option or disable firewire - does not appear to work in this case)
Windows 7 stuck at loading screen during installation (no solution pertinent)
Windows 7 won't boot past starting windows screen / stuck on Classpnp.sys in safe mode (no solution or not pertinent)
Windows 7 setup hangs after "Starting Windows..."-screen (disable floppy drive in BIOS - board has no floppy drive, but I presume there might be a similar issue here with the CF card being treated the same way as a floppy drive? but I can not disable it ;))