Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've started to use a Mac recently, and what I'm missing a lot is Windows keyboard GUI navigation. You know, Tab, left, right, enter and space. On Windows I could install an application without ever touching the mouse.

On a Mac, as far as I understand, you could move in such a manner only between text boxes: no check boxes or radio buttons, no buttons.

Am I right? Is there a Macintosh way to control the OS from a keyboard?

share|improve this question
Yeah, learn all the shortcuts. With Quicksilver installed the only time I really have to use the mouse is in Photoshop. – Josh K Oct 19 '09 at 1:08
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You can enable extended keyboard control in System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse->Keyboard Shortcuts and select the "All controls"-radiobutton in the "Full keyboard access"-section in the bottom of the dialog.

share|improve this answer
Correct, but that option, for me, makes navigating a nightmare. Enable it and then try to use Tab in Mail or in Firefox... (Well, Safari uses Option-Tab rather than just Tab to step through links, so behaves better than Firefox.) And with or without that option enabled, in dialogs you just never know if Command-letter will let you press a button. – Arjan Oct 18 '09 at 16:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.